Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bloom by Elizabeth Scott


Alright, so Ill start off by saying this: In eigth grade, my passion for books sky rocketed (actually, it started in seventh grade, but I was going through a baseball book only phase) and I was just madly on the hunt for the best YA novels.
I discovered many books, in fact. Like Just Listen by Sarah Dessen, Cindy Ella by Robin Palmer,Lucky T by Kate Brian,then all of Sarah Dessen's remaining novels I had yet to of read, and then along came Bloom by Elizabeth Scott. Now Im not gonna RUIN anything for you guys who are reading, but when you read a lineup with the perfect or close-to-perfect kind of books, you expect that nice long streak to keep on going. For some reason though, after reading "Bloom", I was extremley upset. I even lent it to my friend so she could give me her own oppinion on how she felt about the book, and she ended up telling me she really liked it.
Okay, so this is where the immature part comes... I emailed the author, Elizabeth, about how much I didnt like the book and was really upset with how the story played out. She never responded to me, and I really didnt expect it either.
Alright, so last year, I was cleaning up my room when I found "Bloom" and I wasnt reading a book at the moment and decided to read it again. OH MY GOODNESS DID I LOVE IT! Seriously, this book has a twist that you somewhat expect, somewhat dont, which makes it all the more fun to read. I feel incredulous at the fact that I dared say I didnt like it, because words will never explain how good of a book this is.
In "Bloom" Lauren tells her story of being the one with the perfect boyfriend, perfect friendships, and overall a perfect life. But shes not satisfied with it. If anything, her life seems forgettable.
In walks Evan Kirkland, the boy she shared her childhood with, now seeming to be more secrative and silent as he unexpectedly offers rides to Lauren. Suddenly, Lauren realizes this rush she has, a rush she's never experienced.
In this novel written by the amazing Elizabeth Scott- OH YEAH! I forgot to say I emailed her again telling her I reread the book and absoltley loved it, and she told me that she was really happy I gave it a second chance. Well, so am I :) Anyways, in this novel written by Elizabeth Scott, you will witness the true growth of an unsteady relationship. Feelings overcome reality, and soon, reality is dealt to face with. How Lauren handles all these mind consuming things is for you to find out.
I cant reccomend this book enough. Just to get a bit specific, I felt like the twist in this book is a nice change from all the other YA novels Im used too. Perfection once was key from me, however, this book is perfection in its own category. For me, I admired every single flaw, which really makes the book that much more unique and exciting then others. You will be hooked from start to finish- or like me, for eternity. Hmm, that sounded REALLY corny. But I dont know, I find myself rereading "Bloom" ALOT! Haha, I hope you guys check this book out and tell me your thoughts :) Thanks for reading!
-Caroline

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this book. It was so good and I couldn't put it down. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really feel like we have A LOT in common when it comes to choices of books! I read your reviews last night, and I absolutley felt the same way on some of the books Ive read that you reviewed. Strange, but kinda cool :) Haha, and you have such great reviews by the way!!

    ReplyDelete